An auto dealership owner built the building in the early '50s to house his boats. Walter Farnyk, a General Motors photographer, transformed the building into 'Royal Oak Studio' and shot there from 1955-57, while the GM Tech Center was being built.
After GM moved on, Chrysler used the studio through the late 70's. The building was then used for printing religious directories. In 1988 Ken Music renovated the building back to a photo studio. Studios 326 was born and began a new era in photography, handling everything from small jewelry to big cars and a few pop stars.